Friday, August 21, 2009

Do I want a wimpy ice cream?


Just like businesses in other countries, Argentinean companies like to use foreign-sounding names sometimes. I ran into two examples that made me laugh. One was an ice cream store next to the Plaza del Congreso named Wimpy. I wondered whether the store’s owner knew what the word “wimpy” would mean to Americans.
While walking in the posh Retiro area, there was another store that caught my attention: Breeder’s. It’s not a fertility clinic or a sex store; it’s an upscale furs goods store.
Translations for English speakers can also lead to misinterpretations.
When you exit the Cathedral in the main plaza (Plaza de Mayo) where the Casa Rosada (the presidential house) is located, you’ll find a box asking for money to support the worship. They have translated worship as “cult.” Quite different.

1 comment:

Z said...

http://images.google.com.ar/images?hl=es&safe=off&q=barfy&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi