Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle


During the first two weeks of class I walked to the school. It took me 20 minutes to navigate through people, vendors, dogs and different kinds or means of transportation in those diagonal, zig-zaggy, narrow Florence streets.
All that walking really kept the weight off from all those cheeses, pastas and delicious breads.
Last Friday I decided to ride the bike my landlady had loaned me. Somehow scared about the traffic I decided to give it a try. All of a sudden I identified more with the city.
Florentines walk and ride their bikes everywhere: school, work, the supermarket. You can see people from all ages moving on two wheels, day and night.
“Just look for a post and lock the bike,” Marta, the landlady told me. “It won’t be stolen; it’s an old bike,” she added.
Now I go to the school and the supermarket by bike. There is a little problem though: to find parking, I mean a post, since there are bikes everywhere.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi...i'm an italian girl and was smiling reading at what you wrote about us :) by the way, it's not true everywhere that you can leave your bicycle everywhere, even if it's old. there are places in where it's better if you don't even have a walk ;)
i won't say which places those are lol just for respect of my compatriots ;)
hope i made myself understand by writing this.
bye!

Elio Leturia said...

Silvia: Thanks for your comments. I am lucky that my bike was not stolen!