Tuesday, July 22, 2008

1 dollar to pee


Getting a bathroom in Florence is not as easy as we are used to in the United States. Of course you can always ask the ristorante or trattoria to let you use their facilities, but it’s up to them whether they allow you or not.
However, there are a few public restrooms around the city but you gotta pay.
After arriving to the Milano Centrale train station I felt the urge. I walked around without being able to find a bathroom. Didn’t see any information office so I approached a money exchange kiosk and asked for directions. “Alla destra,” (to the right) I was told.
When I saw the universal bathroom icons I smiled. Then I faced reality. 70 Euro cents to get in, which is a little bit over one dollar.
In Venice, your waste gets more expensive: 1 Euro.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

just an advice: you can piss on the floor next time. It's no fair make people pay to have a pee, you're right.
Or better, you can go into a bar and ask for something to drink, even a glass of water, which is free, and ask for toilets, after that. It's easier, isnt it?